After the 3 Rs, there is one more R that has been very important that is Restore! Roundhouse is especially an excellent example of restoration.
Let’s know more!
1) At the old railway engine shed near Chalk Farm, London, England, stands The Roundhouse. It is a venue for performing arts and concerts.
2) In 1847, the London & North Western Railway constructed it as a roundhouse, a circular building that contained a turntable, but it was only in use for a few years.
3) For many years, it was used as a warehouse. Before World War II, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building reopened as a performing arts venue in 1964 when playwright Arnold Wesker established the Centre 42 Theatre Company and adapted the building for use as a theatre.
4) From 1996 until 1996, the building remained largely vacant as the Norman Trust acquired it for £6 million. Terry Gilliam, musician Bob Geldof, and filmmaker Suggs were among the trustees of the Roundhouse Trust he established in 1998.
5) In June 2006, the renovated Roundhouse opened again with a new illustration promoting Fuerzabruta, designed by John McAslan & Partners. The renovations have cost more than £27 million since 1996.
6) It is 48 metres (157 feet) in diameter, constructed in yellow bricks, with a pointed roof and a circular shape that makes it distinctive from the rest. Twenty four cast-iron Doric columns and a frame of curved ribs support the conical slate roof. It also has a central smoke louvre. There is original flooring in the interior, along with fragments of the turntable.
7) English Heritage and English Council England provided conservation advisors and funds for the 2006 renovation. During the renovation, the roof was soundproofed with seven layers of insulation, roof lights were reinstated, and a steel and glass extension was constructed to house the box office, bar and café, art gallery foyer, and offices.
8) In addition to its role as an arts venue, the Roundhouse runs a creative programme for young people aged 11-25 through its Roundhouse Trust.
9) The Trust taught live music, circus, theatre and new media to over 13,000 young people from 2006 to 2012. The Roundhouse Studios, located underneath the Main Space, contain an extensive recording studio, a film production room, a television and radio studio, and rehearsal rooms for courses.
It was all about The restoration of the Roundhouse! Comment down if you know of any such remarkable restoration in India!