The largest animals on Coral Atoll The Aldabra Giant Tortoise—It really is Humongous*!!! (That means huge*).
- The Aldabra Giant Tortoise is one of the largest tortoises in the world, belonging to the Islands of the Aldabra Atoll in Seychelles. Also, it is the largest animal on Atoll!
2. Many Fossil records suggest that Giant Tortoises occurred on every continent and islands except Antarctica and Australia. Historically, they existed in Madagascar and many of the western Indian Ocean Islands. “Intriguing!”
3. The Aldabra Giant Tortoise has a carapace (hard upper shell), highly domed, ranging from dark grey to black in colour.
4. They have enormously scaled legs to support their heavy bodies with a very long neck to make them reach the tree branches.
5. They are enormous creatures. The male tortoise weighs around 250 kg, while the female tortoise weighs almost 160 kg. Ye…”Deemn!”
6. Their first and foremost choice for diet is vegetation. But when it comes to survival, these Tortoises can be adaptable and opportunistic. They can eat small invertebrates and decaying flesh of dead animals (including deceased tortoises). “wt…!?”
7. Aldabra Giant Tortoise, being humongous in size for their environment, create pathways while browsing for food. Paths created by them help other small and normal-sized animals. “Aww…” We know, right?
8. They are one of the longest living animals on this planet. Nobody knows for how long they can live. They can easily surpass the 100 years mark and can live much longer.
9. Aldabra Giant Tortoise is most active in the morning, searching for food. They can be found having a break in swamps to keep cool during a hot day.
This fascinating creature can be found both individually and in herds, but they tend to gather on open grasslands. —must be a sight to see, right?
What's Your Reaction?
A confused writer in this not so confused world with an inundation of ideas and stories