Hey, Cinephiles! Today we are going to talk about an underrated but sensible actor and filmmaker, Anand Tiwari, whom you see but don’t google much about maybe.
1. Born on 29 May 1983 in Mumbai, Anand is a noted theatre and film actor and director. He has been a part of films like Udaan, Kites, Aisha, Go Goa Gone, etc.
2. Tiwari grew up in a family of doctors in the Matunga neighbourhood of Mumbai but slowly developed his interest in Cinema.
3. Tiwari was very fond of Cinema and used to act in small roles in Marathi theatre in the local Ganpati and Navratri festivals.
4. Tiwari loved to go and visit Shivaji Mandir in Dadar to watch plays. He also started attending summer acting workshops at his school.
5. In 2004, Tiwari undertook a bachelor’s in mass media with a major in advertising course from the University of Mumbai.
6. Tiwari has also worked with Cogito TV and Cyclops Films & Video before working with big Production Houses like Ramesh Sippy Entertainment, Sai Paranjpye Films, etc.
7. Tiwari has been lucky enough to get an opportunity to work with Anurag Basu as an assistant director for Barfi in 2012. Anand Tiwari always acknowledges Anurag Basu as Godfather and feels that he treats him like a brother.
8. Tiwari has worked as a stage actor in Mumbai in plays like Dreams of Taleem, All About My Mother, One On One, etc. He has remained passionate about Cinema since the age of 4, and always wanted to tell stories.
9. Let us tell you a crucial yet funny anecdote in Tiwari’s life. In 2015, Tiwari auditioned for Detective Byomkesh Bakshi, obviously thinking that he would get rejected but eventually, he got selected for the second round. Anand was asked to bring a kurta, which he forgot. This made him borrow the kurta from another candidate and guess what? He got selected! Later on, Tiwari put on 12-kgs for his role in the film as Ajit Banerjee.
10. Tiwari also acted in TV Commercials for labels like Jet Airways, Tanishq, Citibank Privilege Card, DISH TV, Policybazaar. He also was part of Share A Coke Campaign and Jaagore Campaign (by Tata Tea). Once he mentioned that he worked for commercials so that he could earn money to do theatre.
11. Anand Tiwari acted in Oscar-Winning film Slumdog Millionaire (2008). The Slumdog Millionaire appearance helped him to bag a role in another Hollywood flick Fair Game (2010).
12. Anand Tiwari has also contributed to Web-traffic by being a part of short films like Oye Teri, Haircut, Neighbours and web series like Official Chukyagiri along with Sumeet Vyas.
13. In 2018, Tiwari presented his first directorial film, Love Per Square Foot, and will also direct Ticket To Bollywood, both starring Vicky Kaushal.
Acting is something that I do, and I enjoy so much on a personal level that I will not stop doing till my dying day. – Anand Tiwari
What's Your Reaction?
Love to watch films, love to write about films and most importantly love to think about films. A cinephile chatterbox with a Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication.