Are you aware of the possibility of baby eye colour change over the coming months and years? Surprise! But, hey, it is totally okay.
Do not worry if you see baby eye colour change. There is science behind it:
1. Multiple genes in the body contribute to eye colour. Even if the parents of the baby have brown eyes, the baby can end up with blue ones if the parents have the genes for blue eyes somewhere in their genetic makeup (“DNA ka hai ye funda!”)
- When babies are born, especially fair-skinned ones, they have light-coloured eyes due to very little melanin (a pigment which gives to the eyes, skin and hair).
- While predictions about the exact eye colour that your baby’s eyes will have, there are some strong probabilities you can learn about.
4. Typically, you’ll see the biggest change in the first 6 to 9 months of life.
5. The change is so gradual that you may not notice until, one day, the baby wakes up and surprises you with a different eye colour!
- Sometimes, the colour change can continue for several years too before it becomes permanent.
7. When will you know about the permanent eye colour of your baby? Keep patience because it could take about a year for your baby’s eye colour to come in.
- In some cases, the colour change can continue for several years to come.
- Generally, your baby’s colour will change without affecting his vision or any other eye issues. But if only one eye changes colour (which is very rare), contact your doctor.
“What is that mysterious thing that changed in my baby? Will he end up with his opap ki baby blues? Or will he take after Mom the brown-eyed girl?”
Sadly, now you know, you cannot necessarily predict it just by looking at the parents eye colour. But your prediction may come true at times — it is all a game of genetics!
No matter what eye colour a baby has, babies are always adorable. And, you can’t stop gazing into them. But, it is not strange like a diaper baby will change their eye colour too…
What's Your Reaction?
Pranjal is highly jovial by heart, full of bright ideas and leading a colorful life person. She is currently pursuing her graduation from lakshmibai college, University of Delhi and a keen learner who have a constant desire to learn more and more.