Do hell with the philosophy, chow mein is so addicting that it can make you entangled in its taste forever!
But who was the master behind this entangling food which has knotted in its curls so many of us?
1. Originated in China, this signature Chinese dish, Chowmein aka stir-fried noodles, have been a part of the debate since time immemorial.
2. Researchers and food enthusiasts claim that the star ingredient “the noodle” originated in China and travelled all the way to Asia after touching Korea and Japan.
3. Even after the mystical discovery of a 4,000-year-old bowl of noodles found in China underneath the ground, the confusion between Noodle and Pasta, and their parents China or Italy, still remains unresolved.
4. But thanks to whomsoever it may concern for bringing these silky and delicious millet fibres to America.
5. In the early 1920s, in America, noodles got converted to wheat, and here only that the chow mein met its another sibling, chop-suey.
6. Some people believe that chow mein came from the natives of Taishan, a city located in Pearl River delta.
7. Ranked as India’s most favourite cuisine, the chow mein came to India first in Calcutta and still persists to be in hearts of every small and big.
8. This ultimate pick in times of confusion is made with the following:
- Vegetables (own choice)
- Tofu/ Chicken/ Meat/ Paneer (optional)
- Bell Peppers
- Soya sauce
- Chilli sauce
10. Throughout history and even till now, Chow Mein has been rediscovered in many flavours and shades. Here are some Popular Variations of Chowmein, which are almost always in-demand:
- Classic Indian Veg Chow mein
- Schezwan Noodles
- Burnt Chilli Garlic Noodles
- Hakka Noodles
- Street Style Egg Noodles
- Vegetable Pad Thai Noodles
- Chicken Chow mein
- Singapore Noodles
- Mushroom Noodle
The chow mein is a balanced diet of grains and veggies where the noodles provide a slurpy texture, and vegetables provide bite and crunch.
So, become a crispy noodle in the solitary saga of life.
Until next time, have a Chow Chow!!
What's Your Reaction?
Young and passionate 'Dilliwali' Editor&Writer, Ritika Gupta aims to work for youths and artists in India through Value Creation.