Instead of places, this blog covers significant, 9 cities to visit in Haryana, India. One of the most ancient lands of India, the “Abode of the Gods”, as it’s been called by many, is full of stories (mythical, ancient and modern).
Haryana is where Ved Vyasa wrote the Mahabharata, the Indian Epic. Also known as the Green Land of India, it is also one of the most industrialized states of the nation.
Continue reading to find out more about the places and cities to visit in Haryana, so you know what the state has to offer:
- Only Indian city which is Capital of two separate states (Punjab and Haryana).
- A modern city that hasn’t lost its ancient touch, it is home to the Rock Garden, an attraction famous all over the country.
- Formerly known as Gurgaon, Gurugram is the second-largest city in Haryana.
- Haryana’s Corporate Capital, Gurugram, lies in the industrial sector of the state. It has a jaw-dropping infrastructure.
- Mythologically, the battleground of the ancient Mahabharata war, Kurukshetra, is a popular pilgrimage destination.
- It is a culturally rich place and the birthplace of the Bhagavad Gita, the holy book of Hindus.
- Brahma Sarovar and Sri Krishna Museum, situated in Kurukshetra, are amongst must-explore places to visit in Haryana.
- This city, situated on the bank of the river Yamuna, was founded by one of the Pandava Brothers (from the epic, Mahabharata). It has witnessed several crucial battles in the history of India.
- The Panipat Museum and Kabuli Bagh are popular tourist attractions of Panipat.
- One of the most ancient cities of Haryana–significant evidence has been found to indicate that this city was inhabited even during the Palaeolithic Age.
- One of the central cities, this place saw an uprising against the British Raj against their rule.
- Ropar and Nalagarh are popular tourist destinations here.
- Having evidence of being one of the settlements of the prehistoric man, Hisar is yet another city that boasts of rich history.
- Agroha and Banavali are must-visit places in Hisar.
- The biggest city in Haryana, Faridabad, ranks among the leading industrial hubs of the country and makes a massive contribution to the state’s revenue.
- Surajkund and Badkhal Lake are among the popular destinations in the city.
- Established by the Kauravas for Karna (the elder brother of the Pandavas, who was famous for his generosity), it is celebrated for its rich culture and history.
- Karnal Fort and Karnal Lake should be visited by every tourist in the city.
- The satellite city of Chandigarh, its name means “the home of five canals”.
- Kalka and Pinjore of Panchkula are indeed among the attractive places to visit in Haryana.
Lots have been said about the backwardness of Haryana. Now that you know not merely iconic sites but 9 cities to visit in Haryana–make sure not to miss any to experience its culture and history. BTW, when are you planning to leave?