We all might know that after the war of the Mahabharata, King Dhritarashtra lost all his sons, except one, named Yututsu. But most of us are unaware of what happened Dhritarashtra after everything was settled down, and Yudhisthira was made king?
1. Only his son-Yuyutsu, wife-Gandhari, sister in law-Kunti, daughter-Dushala and Kauravas uncle-Vidur were left behind in the war.
2. After the war, when Pandavas arrived in Hastinapur for the transfer of power to Yudhishthira, Dhritarashtra made him the new king of Hastinapur.
3. For the next many years, Dhritarashtra, Gandhari, Kunti and Vidura continued to live in Hastinapur.
4. After 15 years, all of them decided to give up their royal life and move to the forest to do penance and attain moksha.
5. Sanjay (who has lived with Dhritarashtra since birth) decided to join and go with them.
6. For nearly 3 years, they continued to live in a forest near the bank of Ganga. They all bathe every day in Ganga and the Gods to take off their guilt and bless them with moksha.
7. One day, when Dhritarashtra went for a bath in Ganga, Kunti, Gandhari and Sanjaya were caught in a fire as the forest burnt down. Sensing the danger, they went to ensure Dhritarashtra was safe. Vidura was absent in this fire as he predeceased them.
8. Sanjaya requested everyone to move away from the forest fire and approach a safer place, but, everyone declined his advice. Dhritarashtra declared that this was the moment of accepting the punishment, proving themselves and attaining moksha.
9. All of them except Sanjaya decided to accept their fate and receive death. Dhritrashtra stopped Sanjaya from saving them and instead protect himself, and so it happened.
It is said by some that, after the war, Sanjaya after the spread of news, went to the Himalayas.