“Dollhouse,” a word that brings back memories. Every child has played with one. Spending hours imagining scenarios or trying to build your dream city, dollhouses have only good memories attached to them. But how did dollhouses come to be? Who was the genius that came up with the idea? Curious? Read on to find out.
1. A dollhouse is a miniature toy house. The toy became popular in the 20th century as a children’s toy. Today, collecting and crafting dollhouses is a popular adult hobby.
2. Dollhouses are old. They emerged in Europe as miniature houses showcasing ideal interiors.
3. Known as Dollhouse in America and Doll’s House in the UK, the toy became more realistic during the 18th century. The exteriors were now realistic miniatures of actual buildings.
4. Earlier dollhouses were handmade, and as a result, were expensive and only localised to rich kids. But with the industrial revolution, they were mass-produced and became accessible to more children.
5. They come in all shapes and sizes. From simple dollhouses made by stacking a few boxes together to dollhouses worth millions, the list is pretty exhaustive.
6. Miniature houses, full of miniature residents and pets, have been made for thousands of years. The oldest known dollhouses have been found in Ancient Egyptian Tombs of the Old Kingdom. This dates back 5000 years!
7. The earliest known dollhouses in Europe are from the 16th century. These old dollhouses consisted of cabinets that displayed different rooms.
8. The oldest European dollhouses were, in fact, gifts to Dorothea and Anna of Saxony, German princesses and daughters of Augustus of Saxony.
9. Germany is regarded by many as the capital of European dollhouses. The dollhouses produced in the country were famed to be the best and most prized for their time.
This provides us with some food for thought. Most of the German dollhouses from that time are now housed in museums and are worth millions. They’re the epitome of craftsmanship. Building miniatures requires immense talent, after all!
What's Your Reaction?
I am Rakshit Aswal, a recent graduate of English Hons. from University of Delhi. I like to play videogames and read books while on my pursuit to experience amazing stories.