The history of chocolate is something that we all once in our lives have desired to know about.
If you have a sweet tooth too and cannot stop thinking, “agar chocolate na hoti toh mera kya hota yaar!” –then, this may be shocking for you because chocolate is 90% of its long history. It was strictly a beverage. Also, sugar never had anything to do with it? Surprised? Check more about the history of chocolate below:
1. Many modern historians have estimated that the history of chocolate can be traced back from about 2000 years. Recent research suggests that it may be even older.
2. Chocolate comes from Latin America, one of the earliest civilizations in Latin America. Here the first to turn the cacao plant into chocolate. They drank their chocolate during rituals and used it as medicine.
3. By the 15th century, the Aztecs used cocoa beans as currency. They believed that chocolate was a gift from the god Quetzalcoatl and drank it as a refreshing beverage, an aphrodisiac, and even to prepare for war.
4. In the 14th century, when the Aztecs started to dominate Mesoamerica, they became starved of cacao beans. The cacao plant was not for the dry highlands of central Mexico (remained the heart of their civilization).
5. No one knows for sure when chocolate came to Spain. Legend has it that explorer Hernán Cortés brought chocolate to his homeland in 1528.
6. Cortés was believed to have discovered chocolate during an expedition to the America. In search of gold & riches, he instead found a cup of cocoa given to him by the Aztec emperor.
7. Did you know that initially, Spanish kept chocolate quiet for a very long time? It was nearly a century before it reached neighbouring France and then the rest of Europe.
9. On 7 July 2009, World Chocolate Day was celebrated globally.
Some even believe 7 July commemorates the day chocolate was introduced to Europe in 1550.
‘I often call chocolate the best-known food that nobody knows anything about.’ – Alexandra Leaf.
What's Your Reaction?
Pranjal is highly jovial by heart, full of bright ideas and leading a colorful life person. She is currently pursuing her graduation from lakshmibai college, University of Delhi and a keen learner who have a constant desire to learn more and more.