We all know that kings had access to personal entertainment, and it was some entertainment! Let’s learn about King and court poets!
1) Kalidasa was the court poet in the court of Vikramaditya Shakuntalam. His well-known work is Meghdoot.
2) Bana Bhatt or Bana was the court poet in the court of Harshavardhana. He is well-known for Harsha Charita, Kadambari.
3) Chand Bardai was the court poet in the court of Prithviraj Chauhan. His famous work was Prithviraj Raso.
4) Bhavabhut was the court poet in the court of King Yashovarman of Kannauj. His well-known works were Mahaviracharita, Malatimadhava and Uttararamacharita.
5) Amir Khusro was the court poet of mainly Allauddin Khilji but associated with seven rulers of the Delhi Sultanate. His famous works are Tuhfatus-Sighr and Qiranus-Sa’dain.
6) Sri Ponna was the court poet of Rashtrakuta King Krishna III Shantipurana. His famous work is Bhuvanaika-Ramabhyudaya.
7) Parmanand was the court poet of Shivaji. His famous work is Shivbharat.
8) Pandit Gangadhar Mishra was the court poet of Sambalpur King Baliar Singh. His famous work is Kosalananda Mahakavya.
9) Hema Saraswati was the Kamtapur King Durlabh Narayan. His famous work is Prahalad Charita.
10) Rajashekhara was the court poet of Gurjara Pratiharas. His famous works are Balabharata, Karpuramanjari, Balaramayana, and Kavyamimamsa.
Kings and court poets is definitely an intriguing topic! Do comment down below your questions about them! Also, name your favourite poets!