The adorable Mausi (stock character) of the classic Hindi Cinema, who have covered around 200 movies over five decades, Leela Mishra has left her presence as the most cherished aunt of Indian Cinema in the hearts of cinema lovers.
We will be sharing with you all that you need to stay informed about this classical heroin: Leela Mishra.
1. Mama Shinde, who was working in Dadasaheb Phalke’s Nasik Cinetone, first discovered her talent.
2. During the 1900s, there were not many female actresses in the film industry. Mama Shinde thus had to persuade Leela’s husband to let her act in movies. She was given a monthly salary of Rs. 150.
3. Later, she might have earned Rs. 500/month, but she never signed the new projects.
4. She rejected many film projects like Bhikarin and Honhaar, due to her unwillingness to do scenes that involved hugging a male lead.
5. Thus, the turning point in her career came at the age of 37, when she got her first feature movie, Zeenat, in which she became the mother of Liyaqat, Lila Misra, and so began the journey of acting as a stock character, Mausi, Chachi, or Mother.
6. Her career’s best performance was in the film, Naani Maa, for which she won the Best Actress Award, at the age of 73.
7. Leela Ji left the stage of Bollywood and the world at the age of 80, in the year 1988.
She will always be celebrated for her exceptional stock character of aunt/mother, and endearing acting in the hits like Sholay and Abodh, and her name will continue to be written golden in the history of the Indian Film Industry and Hindi Cinema.
What's Your Reaction?
" 'Light' as my name tells, I'm Deepanker Verma, an adult who loves to sing, act, make others smile, and wants to discover all aspects of life."