Has it ever crossed your head if you can legally pet an animal like a lion or crocodile in India? Lol! Don’t worry! You are not alone here if you ask such weird questions.
- So, we tried to find out more about if one can legally pet an animal in India; what types of animals are allowed to be kept as pets in India?
- There is nothing much in the law-book regarding if one can legally pet an animal in India.
- However, some laws mention animals that are not capable of being kept as pets in India negatively.
- The first consideration has to be given to statutes and judicial interpretation of domestic animal rights in India.
Wildlife Protection Act:
- Aquariums may seem to be very natural and relaxing.
- Nonetheless, the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 has banned cetaceans (dolphins or marshes), penguins, otters and manatees.
- Any species of endangered fish are still banned from being maintained or sold.
- The Wildlife Protection Act also protects birds such as Rose Ringed Parakeet, Alexandrine Parakeet, Red Munia and Jungle Myna.
- Paragraph 2(37) of the Act describes: wildlife like any mammal, butterfly, creek, fish and moths as well as aquatic or soil vegetation are part of any ecosystem. This wildlife is also of great significance and includes all types of flora and fauna.
Animals That You Can Legally Pet In India:
- Fishes reared in an aquarium
- Some variety of birds like pigeons, parrots, finches and budgerigars
Toh ab jab jaan gaye ho about which animals you can pet legally in India, dekh ke paalna ab. Turtle naa le ana ghar paalne mein rakhne ke liye!
What's Your Reaction?
Hi I am an aspiring lawyer, who loves to write about social issues and topics that personally interest me.