This blog explores the LGBT+ Terminologies that every person who is curious about people and self, must know about. LGBT+ is an umbrella term for four “not-so-common” words: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender. So, LGBT+ Terminologies would a perfect be a perfect piece of knowledge to clear all our stereotype about them.
“When you are doing something that is right, you just do it and take care…Someone has to do this.” — Alice Nkom
“Hum jaise hai, waise hi rahenge.”
“LGBT hai toh kya gham hai tumhe?”
“Aj ki charcha LGBT ke naam!”
“Hum toh hai aise hi, tenu ki?”
- Ally-A community or person supporting another LGTB community members, emotionally and mentally, to achieve a mutual goal.
- Asexual-The person who does not have any sexual desires or interest in any sexual activity. It is further divided into Gray-sexual and Demi-sexual.
- Autosexual-The person who loves and is completely satisfied with all its angles, fantasizing about their looks and naked bodies in the mirror.
- Agender-The person who does not consider himself/herself to have any particular gender.
- Androgynous-A person who carries characteristics of both male and female characteristics. Gender distinction is not easy here.
- Bisexual-When a person is attracted romantically, sexually, or behaviour-wise towards more than one gender.
- Binding-When someone tries to flat breasts to look more like a masculine person.
- Bicurious-The person who is curious to have a sexual relationship with a person of the same gender.
- Butch-When an individual identifies as having masculine-characteristics in terms of appearance, physical, mental or emotional traits.
- Cisgender-A person who is comfortable with the gender identity he/she was assigned at the time of birth.
- Coming out-When a person discloses their own sexual orientation to others.
- Discrimination-When one starts differentiating people based on characteristics like race, religion, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Drag-When someone performs in theatres by dressing in gendered clothes.
- Drag Queen-When a person shows off a femininity-role on stage (often done by a man).
- Drag King-When someone shows off a masculinity-role on stage (usually done by a woman).
- Fag Han-A feminine who is socially active and prefer to spend good-time with gay men.
- Femme-When a lesbian express and behaves like a feminine.
- FTM-Female To Male Transgender.
- Gay-When a male-gender gets attracted to another male.
- Gender Binary- Culturally accepting the presence of only two genders: male and female.
- Gender Cues-Some clues like the body type, hairstyle and dress type, used in differentiating the gender/sex.
- Genderqueer-A person who identifies with neither male nor female or a blend of both.
- Heteroflexible-A person who is commonly straight but also gets attracted towards the same gender.
- Homoflexible-A person who identifies as a heterosexual but also gets attracted to the opposite gender.
- Homophobia-A person who has a dislike or feels uncomfortable with gay, lesbian or bisexual people.
- Lesbian-A woman who is primarily attracted sexually and emotionally to another woman.
- Lesbophobia-The person who goes against the lesbian gender.
- MTF-Male To Female Transgender.
- Misogyny-A hatred or dislike against women and girls.
- Pansexual-The person who goes beyond limitation and experience sexual attraction to all sex and gender identities.
- Preferred Gender Pronoun (PGP)-A set of pronouns used when talking to an individual (like I, you, she, her, he, him and it).
- Pre-Op-The time before surgery or the person who has not gone through any surgical procedures.
- Post-Op-The time after surgery or the person who has gone through some surgical procedures.
We hope the above blog has made you aware of the LGBT+ Terminologies and LGBT+ community, but the more you explore, the more terms would you find.
So, never stop exploring and “Make each moment a memorable pride moment.”
What's Your Reaction?
A dedicated educator and writer, a humble colleague, an understanding friend, advisor to many, yet learning from many more. All this defines a young lady named Anushree Warulkar as she has earned every word mentioned here.