Namastey, Cinephiles! In this blog, we will take a tour around the life of Mac Mohan, who got famous by a dialogue he never spoke. He is most famous for Saambha.
1. Born on 24 April 1938, in Karachi (British India) and later came to Bombay. Mohan initially wanted to be a cricketer. But due to a twist of destiny, he became an actor.
2. Mac Mohan learned acting skills from the Filmalaya School of Acting, Bombay. He started his training under Director Chetan Anand as his assistant.
3. Mac Mohan got his first Bollywood break as an actor in Chetan Anand’s Haqeeqat (1964).
Mohan portrayed the role of Ram Swarup’s Youngest Brother in the film.
4. Mohan was married to Minny in 1986 and had three children, Manjari Makijany, Vinati Makijany, and Vikrant Makijany. Mac Mohan was also the maternal uncle of Raveena Tandon.
5. Minny was a doctor and taking care of Mac’s father in the hospital, and that’s where Mac fell in love with her. After their marriage, a newspaper published that Mac married his father’s girlfriend.
6. Mac Mohan was a classmate of Sunil Dutt. He is also a good friend of Sanjeev Kumar.
7. Mohan’s career was going pretty decent, and then in 1975 came Sholay. Mohan created his image as Saambha in every Indian’s heart.
8. After having the final screening of the Sholay, Mac started crying because he thought he was looking like an ‘Extra’ in the film. But Ramesh Sippy assured him, he would be a memorable character.
After Sholay, Saambha became an influential character. When Mac went to a village to meet one of his friends, a lady saw him and started shouting Chor Chor.
9. Time flew, and Mac gave brilliant and classic movies over the years such as Rafoo Chakkar, Khoon Pasina, Don, Karz, Satte Pe Satta, Shaan, etc.
Mohan has also been a part of several Bhojpuri, Marathi, Sindhi, Gujarati, Haryanavi, and Punjabi Films. Mohan had delivered dialogues in most of the Indian Languages.
10. In 2009, before he could start shooting for Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge, Mohan was admitted to the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital after his health declined.
11. Mohan discovered a tumour in his right lung which, grew to be lung cancer which finally took his life.
Mohan, aged 72, died on 10 May 2010.
12. Mac Mohan contributed to more than 200 films in his lifespan.
Born as Mohan Makijany but died as Saambha, this was the
the story about Mac Mohan.
What's Your Reaction?
Love to watch films, love to write about films and most importantly love to think about films. A cinephile chatterbox with a Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication.