Manu Rishi Chadha is an Indian film actor and writer (lyricist, script and dialogue writer). He is mainly famous for playing the wicked friend Bengali in Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!
1. Rishi, when afresh attracted to theatre, joined theatre director Arvind Gaur and his Asmita theatre group and received his acting training for six years.
2. Rishi has acted in several plays with director Arvind Gaur such as Rakt Kalyan, Final Solutions, Court Martial, Julius Caesar, Andha Yug, Accidental Death of an Anarchist, and Desire Under the Elms.
Manu Rishi always credits Arvind Gaur, for his position in Bollywood and he has always been a Guru to Rishi.
3. In 2001, Rishi (29 years old) moved to Mumbai and discovered that it’s not easy to find work in Mumbai.
4. Manu Rishi realized, to find work in Bollywood, one first has to examine that, ‘Why do people who are getting work in Bollywood, are getting work?’
5. Rishi, in his starting days of Cinema, like other actors used to go to work and earn on a per-day basis.
6. In Mumbai, Rishi, fortunately, found his second Guru, Rajat Kapoor. He joined him in his play, C for Clown.
7. Rishi gave his first film as a Bollywood actor, Raghu Romeo, directed by Rajat Kapoor, where he played Zahid’s character.
8. Rishi, in his hard days, started writing after taking advice from Deepak Dobriyal and Piyush Mishra and somehow got recommended to Dibakar Banerjee.
9. Rishi already had an intuition that something different is going to happen. Dibakar briefed him that “we want people to hear Delhi” and that’s how Bengali happened.
Rishi calls it Tasty Writing.
10. Rishi also penned the dialogues and the Title Track of the film Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! and won the Filmfare and IIFA Best Dialogue Awards.
11. Manu Rishi further got a call from Subhash Kapoor for Phas Gaye Re Obama, and Kapoor told him that he had written a character just for him by keeping Bengali in his mind.
And that was the compliment Rishi didn’t know he wanted. Later on, Phas Gaye Re Obama went on the floors.
12. Rishi has written many striking as well as unreleased scripts. As a writer, he has worked on Rajma Chawal, Nanu Ki Jaanu and he has also written dialogues for Yeh Saali Zindagi, Aisha, and Tubelig03ht.
13. Rishi was recently seen in Doordarshan in a lead role and Shubh Mangal Zyada Savdhan in a supporting role.
In his career till now, Manu Rishi has performed in more than 22 films and 40 plays!
What's Your Reaction?
Love to watch films, love to write about films and most importantly love to think about films. A cinephile chatterbox with a Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication.