Over the past 30-50 years, there have been dozens of creative adaptations around the world of stockbrokers, thus giving rise to a whole new genre of movies that stockbrokers must watch.
But only a few best-ones have been watched by the people of other professions as well. With the new series on Harshad Mehta’s Scam Case in India, still quite a fresh release on Amazon Prime, we have come up with the list of 7 such Movies That Stockbrokers Must Watch, if not already!
- Trading Places (1983): Aykroyd, a commodity broker for upper-classes and Murphy, a street con artist, reversed their positions as part of the bet by two millionaires. See where it takes them in this Movie. Indeed one of those movies that stockbrokers must watch.
- Stars: Don Ameche, Dan Aykroyd, Ralph Bellamy, Eddie Murphy
- Director: John Landis
- Genre: Comedy
- Where to Watch: Netflix
- Awards: BAFTA Film Award 1984, Image Award (NAACP) 1983
- IMDb Rating: 7.5/10
- Wall Street (1987): This one is all you need to watch to understand the boundaries a newbie stockbroker must-set for oneself. The story is about a young, highly ambitious stockbroker, who would do anything to be at number one.
- Stars: Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, Daryl Hannah
- Director: Oliver Stone
- Genre: Crime & Drama
- Where to Watch: Disney + Hotstar, Google Play Movies & TV
- Awards: Academy Awards, Golden Globe Award, National Board of Review Awards and many more!
- IMDb Rating: 7.4/10
- Barbarians at the Gate (1993): Based on the book of the same name by Bryan Burrough & John Heylar, this movie is a biography of the president of a recognised tobacco company, RJR Nabisco and its Leveraged Buyout or LBO.
- Stars: James Garner, Jonathan Pryce
- Director: Glenn Jordan
- Genre: Biography (TV Movie)
- Where to Watch: Netflix
- Awards: Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Television Movie, Golden Globe for Best Television Movie and Best Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
- IMDb Rating: 7.2/10
- Boiler Room (2000): Another story of a youngster who finds quick success as a broker after he drops out of college. But, what if his business is not as legitimate as it seems to be?
- Stars: Giovanni Ribisi, Vin Diesel, Nia Long
- Director & Writer: Ben Younger
- Genre: Crime, Thriller
- Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video, Netflix
- Awards: Jury Special Prize 2000
- IMDb Rating: 7/10
- Too Big to Fail (2011): Based on the book of the same name by Andrew Ross Sorkin. It is a non-fictional and biographical tale of 2008 financial meltdown and how it was handled by US Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve System Chairman, Ben Bernanke.
- Stars: William Hurt, Paul Giamatti, Edward Asner, Billy Crudup
- Director: Curtis Hanson
- Genre: Biography, History (TV Movie)
- Where to Watch: Disney + Hotstar
- Awards: Screen Actors Guild Awards 2012, Cinema Audio Society USA 2012, Writers Guild of America USA 2012 and few more.
- IMDb Rating: 7.3/10
- Wolf of Wall Street (2013): This is a true story written by Jordan Belfort in his book. This is one of the movies that stockbrokers must watch! It was later adapted and turned into a screenplay by Terence Winter. The story is about the rich-life of a stockbroker who inclined himself to crime & corruption.
- Stars: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
- Director: Martin Scorsese
- Genre: Biography, Crime
- Where to Watch: Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies & TV
- Awards: Golden Globe Award USA 2014, AFI Awards USA 2014 (Movie of the Year), Awards Circuit Community Awards (ACCA) 2013, Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards 2014 and many more!
- IMDb Rating: 8.2/10
- The Big Short (2015): Biography around the group of investors who made a bet against the US Mortgage Market, researched and later on discovered the corruption & loopholes inside the market. This actually happened between 2006-07.
- Stars: Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Steve Carell
- Director: Adam McKay
- Genre: Biography, Comedy
- Where to Watch: Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies & TV
- Awards: Academy Awards Oscar 2016 for Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay and Best Motion Picture of the Year, BAFTA Film Awards 2016 and many more!
- IMDb Rating: 7.8/10
So, these were our suggestions on movies that stockbrokers must-watch. You can drop your favourites in the comments to help the aspirants & dreamers out there who are looking for a quick and big-shot to be the next big thing in the world!
What are your recommendations on movies that stockbrokers must-watch?
What's Your Reaction?
I am a creative head and films are my passion. From FIRST ACT TO THIRD ACT, all of my life is a screenplay.