Being idealized by Shayari lovers around the globe, Sahir Ludhianvi was a master of his craft. His writings carried a depth in them, no matter if it is a ghazal, a Shayari, or the lyrics of a song.
1. Sahir Ludhianvi was born on 8th March 1921 as Abdul Hayee in a zamindari Muslim family in the Karimpura district of Ludhiana in pre-independent Punjab.
2. Sahir Sahab was a witness to the bitter relationship of his parents from his childhood. His father re-married several times, after which his mother decided to part ways with his father.
3. Sahir Sahab was expelled from SCD Government college because he was in a relationship with his batchmate Ishar Kaur. But many people claim that he was dismissed by his college principal, a British man, because of his radical views against the British government.
4. Sahir Ludhianvi went to Khalsa school in Ludhiana and then went on to study in a Government college in Lahore, where he used to recite his writings during the college programs.
5. Sahir Sahab moved to Lahore and settled there in 1943, the same year when he published his first-ever book titled ‘Talkhiyaan‘ (Bitterness). He was only 22 years old at that time.
6. In 1949, an arrest warrant was issued against Sahir Ludhianvi due to his pro-India views while he was in Pakistan. But he managed to escape from Pakistan and came to Delhi.
7. Soon after coming to Delhi, Sahir moved to Mumbai to start his journey as a lyricist. Sampooran Singh Kalra, our beloved Gulzar Sahab, was his first neighbour in Mumbai.
8. Initially, the directors were sceptical about giving a chance to a poet as a lyricist. Soon, all of their doubts vanished when Sahir Sahab unleashed the magic with his lyrics.
9. Sahir became such a star lyricist in Hindi Cinema that the director of the movie used to consult him before finalizing the music composer of the movie.
10. There also came a time when the audience watched a particular movie just because song-lyrics of it were penned by Sahir.
11. Sahir Ludhianvi was in a relationship with Amrita Pritam, a well-known writer. They both met in 1944 at a mushaira in Preet Nagar, a village between Delhi and Lahore. Their love story is said to have begun with eye contact at the mushaira.
12. Interestingly enough, the romance of the two was fueled by words and silences. Both of them used to write letters to each other. Sahir also used to visit Amrita while she lived in Lahore.
14. Talking about Amrita Pritam, Sahir once told his mother while they were sitting together in New Delhi, ‘Maaji, yeh Amrita thi, janti ho na? Yeh aapki bahu bhi bann sakti thi.’ To which his mother said, ‘Bete, bahu banao toh sahi kisi ko.’
15. It is said that Sahir Sahab had commitment issues when it came to relationships. Despite having monogamous relationships, he remained a bachelor throughout his life.
16. Sahir Ludhianvi demanded his fee to be 1 rupee more than Lata Mangeshkar. It made Lata Ji quite upset, and she decided not to sing any of the songs written by Sahir.
17. Sahir used to smoke very much. His lyrics, ‘Main zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya, har fikr ko dhuen me udata chala gaya,’ became his philosophy of life in his later years of life.
Sahir Sahab bid goodbye to this world due to a sudden cardiac arrest on 25th October 1980, at the age of 59, and left behind a legacy. His friend Javed Akhtar was present near him at the time of his death.
What's Your Reaction?
Every coin has two sides, and I am interested in both when it comes to cinema. Having a constant affair with memes and curious about a lot of things ranging from the age-old folk tales to the browsing history of the class toppers. If Tsundoku is an art, I am one of the artists.