Considered as the first amongst the all twelve Jyotirlingas of Shiva is the Somnath Jyotirlinga, and here’s all that you need to know about it.
1. The Somnath Temple is situated in Gujarat near Veraval in (Prabhas Kshetra) Kathiawad district.
2.According to the Shiva Purana, Moon was married to the 27 daughters of Daksha Prajapati.
3. Moon loved Rohini the most in all his 27 wives. Seeing his carelessness towards the other wives, Prajapati cursed the Moon that it would lose all its shine.
4. Disturbed Moon, along with Rohini, came to Somnath and worshipped in front of the Shiva Linga.
5. After this, Moon was blessed by Shiva to regain his lost beauty and shine.
7. The meaning of Somnath thus is, the God of the Moon.
In history, the Somnath Jyotirlinga has been destroyed and rebuilt many times. It is one of the most cherished temples of India today.