Everyone knows that Hanuman was the incarnation of Lord Shiva, and also that he was the dearest devotee of Lord Rama. But what’s more to this? Who was Hanuman and how and why he came to Earth? Let’s find out:
1. Hanuman is known as the 9th avatar of Lord Shiva. He is the son of Anjana and Kesari, and also Vayu.
2. According to Puranas, the story goes that, when Anjana was worshipping Shiva, King Dashratha of Ayodhya was also performing the ritual of Putrameshti Yagya to be blessed by children.
3. As a result of this yagya he received a sacred pudding (kheer) and was asked to share it between his 3 wives. This led to the birth of Rama, Lakshmana, Bharata, and Shatrughna.
4. By divine command from Lord Shiva, Lord Vayu took the form of a bird. He snatched a fragment of that kheer, dropping it while flying over the forest where Anjana was engaged.
5. Vayu, the God of the wind, delivered the falling kheer to the outstretched hands of Anjana and she consumed it. Hanuman was born to her as a result of this.
7. Sita blessed Hanuman of immortality because of his devotion to Rama and Sita. Thus, he is also one of the 8 Chiranjeevi.
Thus, Hanuman, the biggest devotee of Lord Rama in the whole universe, is often said to be still alive. Have you seen Him?